Announcement

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit Sounds Of The Soul (3rd edition)here Go To Sounds Of The Soul's Third Edition!

Friday, May 15, 2009

That Sweet Deep Soul: Jarvis Jackson "Something I Ain't Never Had", "My Love Is True"



Jarvis Jackson is another artist whose work has not been appreciated as it should have been. He has a good voice, and the three tracks I've heard by him are definitely very listenable.
I found him on Sir Shambling's, the best source, in my opinion, for obscure and underrated soul music.
Sir Shambling writes about Jarvis Jackson's Something I Ain't Never Had that "Jackson really cuts loose" over the song's "wonderful guitar licks, and subdued organ." And I totally agree with this assessment.
I also like the simple approach to a song like My Love Is True. The song's lyrics could have been emphasized by overly sweet music -- which, in the Deep Soul genre, happens all too often. Thank goodness, the producers did resist that temptation and delivered a beautiful, clean and crisp love song.

No comments: