Announcement

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit Sounds Of The Soul (3rd edition)here Go To Sounds Of The Soul's Third Edition!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

George Smith -- Don't Find Me Guilty

Here's a man with as common a name as there could be: Smith, George Smith. But what a surprise it was hearing his absolutely uncommon voice. Unfortunately, I don't know anything (as I often do) about him or his career. All I can say is that the album from which the track is was released in 1984 for BoJo Records. I found it on one of my blog excursions a while ago, and I think George Smith deserves a little attention.
His rendition of Human -- my favorite Chuck Jackson song -- is extremely impressive.





PS: SENDING OUT AN SOS TO MARC! I know you'll find something about this artist ... 

3 comments:

Marc said...

Hi Inge,

Coming to the rescue.

George Smith was lead singer for Ray Richardson's edition # 6 of the new 'INK SPOTS' (including Ray Richardson;Matt McKinney,Al Williams)
*****************************
Billboard August 14,1965

POP SPOTLIGHT

"GEORGE SMITH - I'VE HAD IT' (TURNTABLE TT-713) 19??

Dramatic soulful performance serves as an exciting debut of both the artist and the label that should get both of them on the chart.
****************************
Discography

George Smith - 'I've Had It'/'When Love Turns To Pity' (TURNTABLE TT-713) 19??

George Smith - 'Born Again'/'Pretty Little Girl' (LAURIE LR 3263) 1964

George Smith - 'I'm Only Human' (BOJO RECORDS LP M300) 1984

Cheers,
Marc

Raggedy said...

Thank you once more! I was quite sure you were the right person to ask ...

Carolyn Robinson said...

I was so happy to come across your page. I've known George for many years. The song Human was originally sung by Tommy Hunt. I remember George singing Human at the Apollo and bringing the house down. Carolyn Bellinger Robinson