Announcement

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit Sounds Of The Soul (3rd edition)here Go To Sounds Of The Soul's Third Edition!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Reflections -- How Could We Let The Love Get Away/ One Into One

The first time I heard this song, I thought it was The Manhattans featuring Ollie Nightingale (maybe). I wasn't quite sure whether I really liked the odd combination of super-smooth velvety background vocals and the gritty, gravely gospel-flavored lead. But alas -- I came to like it a lot even. And then, I'm sure you all know what your ever so inquisitive Raggedy set out to do. Yes, she went looking for some info on these guys. (While I was doing that, I discovered yet another exquisite music blog (Rappamelo) which has a few fine gems to offer.)


Here's the album from which today's post has been taken. It's called Love On Delivery and was released in 1975 for Capitol records. All ten tracks are good, and at least six of them are great, imo. I posted my two favorites from the album: How Could We Let The Love Get Away and One Into One.


The group formed in 1971 in NYC, and according to allmusic.com they were the backup group for Melba Moore in 1972. What allmusic got completely wrong, imo, is that the group "made one nice number, Three Steps from True Love, in 1975." While Three Steps ... definitely is a nice piece -- the titles I found on their album are more than only nice -- they are pretty darned good. Just listen to the background vocals. I would call them excellent. 




Three Steps From True Love


No comments: