Announcement

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit Sounds Of The Soul (3rd edition)here Go To Sounds Of The Soul's Third Edition!

Friday, August 21, 2009

Two Versions of "Lovers Concerto" : The Toys vs The Delfonics



How surprised do you think your ol' raggedy was when she happened to find the Delfonics' cover of A Lovers Concerto in her very own music library? Well ... she was very surprised. I knew that the song had been covered by dozens others, and of all, I loved both Cilla Black's and the Toys versions best. But I had not heard the Delfonics interpretation.
The Toys recorded the song first in 1965, and it is said that the musicians are in fact the mighty Funk Bros. I have no idea whether that is true or not. But they sure sound like them. I have never heard of the label DynoVoiceRecords that released the Toys version and whether it was a studio where the Funk Bros. did some of their well-known (despite unauthorized)
moonlighting ...

Anyway, the song is great and I'm going to post both versions for you to compare.
The Delfonics version is from their 1968 album La-La Means I Love You from which a remastered CD is available .

No comments: