Announcement

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit Sounds Of The Soul (3rd edition)here Go To Sounds Of The Soul's Third Edition!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Phenomenal! Sammy Davis Jr. -- High Heel Sneakers

Photobucket

I can't say I like possessive men -- but Sammy describes that unpleasant male possessive/protective instinct as galantly as possible. So, I choose to view his take on the song as using the "tongue-in-cheek" approach the brilliant entertainer was famous for. Of all the 359,756.5 (or so) covers of the song I love his take on the song best. Sammy adds an extra dimension to one of the many -- I admit it -- shallow songs of the 70's era: Some people have a talent for turning the mediocre into the extraordinary. And Sammy Davis Jr. was one of them.




High Heel Sneakers, Sammy Davis Jr. (Something For Everyone, Motown, 1970)

No comments: